Minutes of Watab Town Board Meeting

September 4, 2007

The regular monthly meeting of Watab Town Board was called to order on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 at 7pm by Chair Craig Gondeck. Board members present were the Chair, Supervisors Lloyd Erdmann and Brad McIntosh, Treasurer Eileen Saldana and Clerk Pat Spence. Audience members present included: Walter Jansen, Earl Harden, Bill Middlestadt, Douglas J. Boser, Taunya Mastey, George Mastey, Maureen Graber, Paul Schwinghammer, Jim Hovda and Bob Erickson.

The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. The Chair asked to have the agenda re-ordered as he needed to leave the meeting due to a death in his family. There were no additions to the agenda. The Chair requested permission to look into septic system updates used by other townships. His request was approved. He turned the meeting over to Vice-Chair Brad McIntosh and left the meeting.

Approval of the minutes of the August minutes with one addition of Graham Township for share in fire reporting costs was given on a motion by Supervisor Erdmann and second by Supervisor McIntosh. The motion passed.

The Treasurerís Report:$230,175.22 balance in bank. Motion was made by Supervisor Erdmann and seconded by Supervisor McIntosh approving the report.

Citizenís Issues:†††††

1.      Doug Boser presented photos of Lake Andrew Development showing lack of erosion control measures, and stating that there has been no action from the town board.The development also doesnít have a second exit. Bob Erickson said that the project engineer is responsible for these issues. Maureen Graber said that we still donít have authority under MS-4. Supervisor Erdmann said that Benton County accepted the SWPPP and should be contacted for an inspection.Maureen said that Benton County does not have an ordinance approved. Paul Schwinghammer & Maureen were asked to contact MPCA and pursue a remedy. George Mastey asked if the catch basins have cloth in them; only half of them have cloth. Supervisor Erdmann suggested that Doug Boser call Benton County and talk with Ed; Maureen said that we will file a complaint bringing in the pictures to Chelle Bensonís office. Doug is frustrated because heís been getting the run-around.Doug also asked about the second exit. The board directed the Clerk to contact the Building Official and tell her not to issue anymore building permits until the second exit is in.George suggested that we put a cease and desist order on the sale of the property; the Clerk will inquire with MAT if that is legal. Paul Schwinghammer said that he is comfortable resolving the problem, and he asked if he can pursue a solution first. We will check all options.

The board reviewed the monthly bills. There was a concern about a bill from Don Girtz Construction for $560.23. Supervisor McIntosh asked George to go and look at the problem and to assess what was done. Supervisor Erdmann said that one factor is that all shrubs are on the road right of way. The payment is withheld until next month to Don Girtz Construction until George looks into it and reports back to the board.

Supervisor Erdmann made a motion, seconded by Supervisor McIntosh to approve payment of the bills as presented except the one to Don Girtz Construction. Motion passed.

Old Business:

1.      MPCA wants more detail in our SWPPP. Maureen Graber detailed the meeting with MPCA officials. The plan has been revised, approved by Paul Schwinghammer, and sent to Joyce Cieluch at MPCA. When she has reviewed it, it will go out for a 30-day public review. After that, we will have six months to get the ordinance in place. The plan will be inputted by the software company. Supervisor McIntosh suggested that Maureen be compensated for her time. Maureen said that she will volunteer her time on MS4. The board thanked her for her valuable service.

2.      Road Report: Bob Erickson will meet with Saldana Excavating this week to choose the spots that need repair.We need a meeting on the storm water pond later this week. There will need to be a final plan approved at the meeting. The meeting will be Friday, September 7th or Monday, September 10th depending on when Supervisor Gondeck is available. Bob will contact the engineer for an 8am meeting.Ron Hommerding said that George will seed the slopes of the pond. The black top job on Plaziak Road is not satisfactory on the patch; it is a very irregular job. The board should look at it. Maureen Graber and the Clerk both commented that the road is very rough. Supervisor McIntosh asked about the minimum maintenance road work for a walking trail. Bob would like to review it with the board at the meeting. Bob will write a letter of recommendation on the minimum maintenance road.

3.      A History Day Report was given by Supervisor Erdmann. It was a huge success with about 40-50 people attending. There was a special flag raising ceremony. The Clerk thanked Supervisor Gondeck for his leadership on this event and told the board that he was recommending that History Day be celebrated every two years with a special theme.

4.      The Clerk reported that the Rice Fire Department had sent her names and addresses for the fire and emergency calls and that she has sent bills to all the parties served during the past month using a government billing form and following the ordinance.

5.      George Mastey asked about what the board wants to have mowed. Supervisor Erdmann has the authority to assign the last six hours of mowing and make a recommendation beyond that if needed at the October meeting.

New Business:

1.      Law Library update: The Clerk will copy the resolutions and ordinances for the county law library.

2.      Maureen Graber said that there is a sample letter on the Little Rock Lake Association website about septic system checking that people can complete and send to Joe Wollak.

3.      Town Hall purchases: The board gave authority to Ron Hommerding to purchase a coat rack on a motion by Supervisor McIntosh and second by Supervisor Erdmann. The motion passed.

4.      The Clerk reported on correspondence regarding the 2010 U.S. Census. A motion was made by Supervisor McIntosh and seconded by Supervisor Erdmann directing the Clerk to respond that the township would not participate directly because of our lack of a data base. This is an option given by the census bureau.

5.      The date for Watab Township Clean Up Day is Saturday, September 24th at Rockwood Estates.

6.      Monthly Correspondence was reviewed by the Clerk. Copies of all correspondence from Bob Erickson were copied for the board; the levy certification was given to Rod Bunting; the District 8 meeting is Tuesday, September 25th.

Supervisorís Issues:Supervisor McIntosh inquired about the letter the township sent to a property owner on Ferry Point regarding an illegal mailbox post in the road right of way. Maureen Graber asked if Paul Schwinghammer should be invited to the Friday special meeting. The board asked her to invite him.
Supervisor McIntosh said that he hoped the meeting would be positive and move towards solving the problem.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30pm.

††††††††††† Respectfully submitted by Pat Spence, Clerk